gomasch Development Notes

Freitag, Oktober 14, 2005

CodeSmith, CSS, VbScript Reference

Ah, finally released it and threw it over the wall. Three completely unrelated notes before jumping into weekend:

To try: Code generation with CodeSmith
I've read soooooo often in so many posts, that CodeSmith is a great tool. It started out free but has gone commercial. But when I looked at the website last time it seemed the free version was gone. Boy I must have been blind: there is still free version of CodeSmith: 2.6. I'll try it out as soon as I see an opportunity.

To try: Really using CSS in Html
Mentally I'm still stuck with the tables paradigm. But I just read a very nice presentation why to drop tables and go CSS. Well, somewhen in the remote future I'll follow and really use <div> myself.

To find or write: Nice VbScript Reference
VbScript is quite nice actually for writing scripts running locally like batch files. WSH is built into Windows and can do almost everything. The syntax is ugly - but well, perl's syntax is ugly too and i liked perl. SciTe  supports VbScript syntax highlighting so I have an editor (always looking for an improvement though).

But what I'm massively missing is a nice VbScript [pocket] [quick] reference like the great Rex Swains's HTMLified Perl 5 Reference Guide. Everyone is pointing to the msdn, which isn't that great for learning the language and solving problems, really. Everything is written somewhere but you'll hardly ever find it until you know the solution yourself. There are some books and even reference html pages to buy. But I haven't found an equivalent to Swain's Reference yet. Especially annoying is how the information is spread over several places since you are not using VbScript itself e.g. to copy files but Scripting.FileSystemObject.

Seems like I'll have to compile stuff myself. Just started ripping off html code from these places and putting them into a single HTML page:

Martin 19:39

0 Comments:

Add a comment